13 April 2012

"Riders on the Storm" by Señor Coconut

In high school I hung out with a guy named Gerald. When we met he was classified as a "burnout" while I was a "squid". Basically that meant that he liked rock & roll and I was new wave. Somehow we became friends on the bus and soon we were going to poetry readings and recording together as the "Liberated Corpses". Neither of us could play any instruments, but we made a few recordings of our rantings and improvisations.

I introduced him to the Dead Kennedys while he got me to listen to the Doors and Creedence. Thanks to Gerald  I listened to music I might otherwise have avoided. What a shame if I never knew anything by the Doors other than "Light My Fire".

Señor Coconut is actually Uwe Schmidt, the man of a thousand aliases. You may also know him for his electronic music as Atom Heart, or Atom™ and the invention of "acitón" (acid-reggaeton). I love his Latin flavored versions of Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and rock classics. Here he is taking on the Doors:


   

No comments:

Post a Comment