05 May 2012

Favorite Rolling Stones Covers

Back in 1988 I painted houses for a notorious Ypsilanti "property owner" who rented to students. One time I was painting an apartment where someone was living and they let me use their boombox while I worked. Their musical taste did not gel with mine, but I saw a Rolling Stones CD and figured I'd give it a spin. After all, "Satisfaction" was a cool song. After a few hours of listening to the CD over and over I came to appreciate the Stones.

What I really dig are weird covers of songs by the Rolling Stones. Here are a few of my favorites:

I don't remember where I heard Polyphonic Size performing "Mother's Little Helper", but somehow I ended up with the 12" from a used record store. I love the stripped down techno music and French accent.


Another favorite cover is a live recording of Tuxedomoon doing "19th Nervous Breakdown" in German.


And finally, there's the French version of "Paint it Black" by Marie Laforet. You may have heard it in the movie "Talladega Nights".


  

No comments:

Post a Comment