06 June 2012

Eating Bacon

Ear-worms are songs that get in your head and take up real estate. My song "Eating Bacon" is such a song. It's fun to play as well. Whenever I pick up my guitar it's the first song I start playing. Back in the Cross Street Station days it was obligatory for me to perform my signature tune. So, of course it starts off the new album and is alluded to in the title (with a hat tip to Woody Guthrie). 

The song is based on real events. I took a girl out on a date and the next day I called her to see if she wanted to go get some breakfast and she said she had to mow the lawn. It was that simple and innocent.

Now you can find bacon blogs, bacon novelties, bacon perfume--it's everywhere. I am proud to have been ahead of the bacon surge.

The earliest version appeared on my tape "Toast & Color" and was recorded live at Cross Street Station. A ballad version featuring The Rubbles showed up on the tape "Watching My Dreams from a Lawnchair". An unreleased recording of a funk version occurred in 1991 at a bar in Oakland, CA featuring a stage full of musicians.

The version appearing on "This Machine Eats Bacon" was never found on any of the official tape releases. It was recorded during an in-studio performance at WQBR-Ypsilanti on the Rob McLean Collide-a-scope programme. It captured the manic live sound of Vladimir's Universe in our prime. I did a little tweaking to enhance the sound.


I'm eating bacon! I'm eating bacon!
There's a girl on a tractor mower
and she's just so adorable.
But what's she doing out of bed so early?
She's cutting the lawn
I'm eating bacon! I'm eating bacon!
A girl like that shouldn't have to mow the lawn.
A girl like that should be laying on a pile of pillows
having peeled grapes fed to her 
while she strokes a persian cat.
She's a queen!
She's a goddess!
She shouldn't have to mow the lawn.
I'm eating bacon! I'm eating bacon!
There's a girl on a tractor mower
and she's just so adorable.
But she shouldn't be out mowing the lawn,
she should be eating breakfast with me.
I'm eating bacon! I'm eating bacon!

©1986 David Samuel Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment