28 December 2012

Not resolutions, Context


I don't make New Year's resolutions. They make things worse. 

For instance, you resolve on January 1 that you will lose 10 lbs.  Then you only make it to 9 and feel like a failure. Therefore you give up altogether and put the weight back on.

So what do I do instead? I make a context for the year. That means I find something to be my north star. If I keep my context in mind I can reorient my life when I get off track. That means that when I lose my way I make a course correction rather than beat myself up as a failure.

You can use a quote, a passage from the holy book of your choice, or even just a word. For instance you could use the word "JOY". If something doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it. If someone tries to steal your joy, keep them at a distance or shun them altogether--or better yet, share your joy with them. Write it in big letters on your mirror, your dash board, your desk at work. Repeat it often.

At the end of the year recount all the joyful things from the year. Think about how much joy you found.

Much better than being 10 lbs lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment