19 March 2012

Songs I wish I wrote: "Careless" by Paul Kelly

I think the first time I heard this was when Ron Wells sing it. I can't remember if it was him solo at Cross Street Station or with The Rubbles in Oakland, CA--but I can hear his voice singing it. Ron did many songs by his Australian countryman which have become favorites of mine. This one was from Kelly's 1989 album "So Much Water So Close to Home".

Sometimes I like a song because it resonates with life events. Such is the case with "Careless". In 1992 I realized that I was selfish and had hurt many people in my short life. Vladimir had become someone I didn't really like. For the previous six years my mom kept praying that I would be safe and disease free by the time I finished running around. Fortunately, God listened.

A key to good songwriting is to have killer opening lines, and this song certainly has it. I also like that it's a circle song, with a progression of chords that cycle in the same order--the melody changes for the chorus but the chords stay the same. That's the way I like to compose songs.



How many cabs in New York City,
how many angels on a pin?
How many notes in a saxophone,
how many tears in a bottle of gin?
How many times did you call my name,
knock at the door but you couldn't get in?
I know I've been careless

I've been wrapped up in a shell
nothing could get through to me
Acted like I didn't know I had friends or family
I saw worry in their eyes,
it didn't look like fear to me
I know I've been careless (I took bad care of this)

Like a mixture in a bottle,
like a frozen-over lake
Like a longtime painted smile
I got so hard I had to crack
You were there, you held the line,
you're the one that brought me back

I know I've been careless (I lost my tenderness)
I've been careless (I took bad care of this)
How many cabs in New York City,
how many angels on a pin?
How many notes in a saxophone,
how many tears in a bottle of gin?
How many times did you call my name,
knock at the door but you couldn't get in?
How many stars in the milky way,
how many way can you lose a friend?


 

1 comment:

  1. Odd timing as i am reading his memoir "How to make gravy" It's a monster book that covers a lot of ground and i would recommend it as a read to anyone who has an interest in writing songs and more importantly, has a lust for living a righteous self determined life. I first met paul in about 78 or 79. He was playing in a band called the high rise bombers in a dingy pub in Melbourne. He's an odd duck. First up he is very shy, and has an odd keening slightly nasal voice. Not high on the list of prerequisits for a career in showbusiness. But as the years would reveal, that was not what Mr. Kelly was chasing. He was going after a bigger picture. A career that would encompass words, music and ideas. From indigenous land rights and a simple, peaceful reconcilliation with a dispossesed people to love in all its vagaries and its life consequences. One of my favorite Paul Kelly songs i have sung over the years is "Little Decisions" A self help meeting in a 3 minute song. I followed Paul's gigs in and around Melbourne over the next few years and watched him try to be something he was not, a rock star in the most cliched sense of the word. A couple of so so records, a broken jaw, prison for me and a lot of alcohol and dope later it was time for both of us to move on . In 1985 as i was getting ready too embark on my long walkabout i rode my motorcycle over to a little pub in Nth Melbourne. Paul was playing with some friends The Zimmermen. A solo set, sans band, believe it or not, uncommon in the spandex 80's. I still had my motorcycle outlaw look going on long hair, big rings, beard. Sort of greasy and undesirable looking. A cocky bouncer blocked my way. A big mother fucker to be sure (A common occurence in those days.) I said. "Is Paul Kelly finished?" He looked at me and said glibly. "Paul Kelly's been finished for years." I passed muster, got through the door and settled into a night of brooding yet uplifting music and realized the possibilities of one man, a guitar and something worth saying, and more importantly worth hearing. Something changed profoundly for me that night and i began a journey in words and music of my own that continues to this day. Personal, with little fanfare or finacial reward. Yet it informs my soul and sharpens my blunt edges and sometimes it touches others as it did in Ypsilanti Michigan. I don't criss cross much with Paul these days, but i keep an eye out and an ear open for what he is doing. He has put out an amazing body of work beginning with 1985's POST and touched many souls deeply from the niche of a cult artist from an isolated small musical economy. I'd love to see that smug bouncer today and talk about Melbourne, rowdy bikies and Paul Kelly. He'd probably tell you they were old mates who go back 30 years or so. Finished, you say!! Not by a long shot. The man was just getting started. Cheers, and i still carry that sage advice around in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete