01 July 2012

I'm a Contra

While working at a record store I came across Phil Ochs. His songs inspired me to write some "topical" songs. This was one of the first that really caught on with the audience. 1987-88 was the height of the Iran-Contra scandal with Col. Ollie North testifying to Congress and the whole document shredding thing. Today I guess I would write a song called "Operation Fast & Furious".

Rather than just make a left-wing diatribe with a beat, I took on the persona of a Contra, hanging out in a bar, bragging to a girl about all the stuff he does as a "freedom fighter". Thus the catchy chorus "I'm a Contra, I'm a Contra, baby!" The verses are based on actual news events.

The version found on the 25th anniversary album "This Machine Eats Bacon" is a remix of the version found on my tape "Children with Pets". It was recorded live at Cross Street Station in Ypsilanti, MI with me on a 4 string tenor guitar backed by Jimigator Nichols on drums. I remember a military vet playing darts once commented: "I don't agree with him, but that's a darn good song!"

There's a bus coming down the road
full of women and little kids
they're headed for the clinic
so they can get a checkup
but they won't ever make it
because weapons came from America
I'm gonna blow it up
and shoot a pregnant lady in the head

Cuz I'm a Contra
I'm a Contra, baby
killing for America
I'm a Contra,
I'm a Contra, baby
killing for Uncle Same
Cuz I'm a Contra
I'm a Contra, baby
an American funded terrorist
I'm a Contra, I'm a Contra, I'm a Contra

Gonna take a late night trip
to the school out in the country
gonna plant a bomb or two because
I'm a freedom fighter
I killed my brother cuz he was a farmer
and I killed my sister
cuz she was a nurse
I killed my father cuz he was a farmer
then i ran across the border into Honduras

Cuz I'm a Contra...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment