15 July 2012

St. Vladimir's Day

Today is the feast of St. Vladimir of Kiev, so I guess it's my Namesday. But how did I get the name Vladimir? When did I start using it?

Some thought that it was my actual name and were surprised years later to find out otherwise. Others speculated that it came from Dracula, or "Vlad the Impaler". Another theory was Samuel Beckett's play "Waiting for Godot". 

When I was about ten years-old I read a book about Andrew van der Bijl (aka "Brother Andrew") who smuggled Bibles into Commuist countries  during the height of the Cold War. This began my interest in Russia and the Balkans. I imagined myself becoming a Bible smuggler with the code name "Vladimir".

How ironic that Vladimir's Universe was known for anti-Christian songs that glorified Communism. 

Many years later, while attending an Eastern Orthodox church I learned about St. Vladimir of Kiev. Originally a pagan, this Grand Prince of Kiev converted to Christianity in 988. He might have become Muslim but didn't like their ban on alcohol and pork. The baptism of Russia soon followed with Russian Christianity aligning itself with the Eastern Orthodox Church in Constantinople.



Have a blessed feast day!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment